Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 7 11 3:07 AM

Tags : :

Strands are a part of my regular training program and have been for some time, as is the case for many participants on this board. Unfortunately, I've found that in attempting to convince others to give strands/cables a go I run up against the fact that few know much (or anything at all) about them and therefore seem disinclined to give them a shot. Does anyone here know of any prominent athletes or others who would be generally recognizable to many or most people who credit their success or much of it to cables? I was originally sceptical about getting results but quickly became a convert after trying them. I think that many would benefit from giving them a fair trial, but most seem put off because of the lack of "success stories" from recognizable names.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 7 11 3:52 AM

molison05 wrote:
Strands are a part of my regular training program and have been for some time, as is the case for many participants on this board. Unfortunately, I've found that in attempting to convince others to give strands/cables a go I run up against the fact that few know much (or anything at all) about them and therefore seem disinclined to give them a shot. Does anyone here know of any prominent athletes or others who would be generally recognizable to many or most people who credit their success or much of it to cables? I was originally sceptical about getting results but quickly became a convert after trying them. I think that many would benefit from giving them a fair trial, but most seem put off because of the lack of "success stories" from recognizable names.
Fatman comes to mind, as a modern day athlete.  He might not be instantly recognizable to anyone outside strandpulling or weight-training in general,  but pointing your friends towards his written works and his training schedules may convince them of cables' value.

A few notables on Sandowplus site,  including Reg Park etc may do the trick in convincing them.

I'm sure there are members here who will have more worthwhile suggestions.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 7 11 4:07 PM

BigBruvOfEngIandUK wrote:
Young guys aint very interested in old time stuff. They want to know how the current sportsmen, musicians and actors get in shape. They want examples of people they have heard of, not some guy they have never heard of

NO!i swear for oldtime guys,they were in amazing shape and they trained without steroids or supplements

some oldtimers in amazing shape that used cables were:fred rollon,abe boshes,joseph vanderzande,syd devis,monotosh roy,john farbotnik,brad raid and david webster,search them on google and you can find many photos

on ''big arms'' by bob hoffmann there are other examples of men that have used strands with good results along with weights (the majority of them) or as a single tool (boshes,rollon and raid)

Last Edited By: kamp91 Sep 7 11 4:10 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 7 11 8:07 PM

kamp91 wrote:
BigBruvOfEngIandUK wrote:
Young guys aint very interested in old time stuff. They want to know how the current sportsmen, musicians and actors get in shape. They want examples of people they have heard of, not some guy they have never heard of

NO!i swear for oldtime guys,they were in amazing shape and they trained without steroids or supplements

some oldtimers in amazing shape that used cables were:fred rollon,abe boshes,joseph vanderzande,syd devis,monotosh roy,john farbotnik,brad raid and david webster,search them on google and you can find many photos

on ''big arms'' by bob hoffmann there are other examples of men that have used strands with good results along with weights (the majority of them) or as a single tool (boshes,rollon and raid)

You seem to have missed the point of the thread
molison05 wrote
Does anyone here know of any prominent athletes or others who would be generally recognizable to many or most people who credit their success or much of it to cables?
Kamp, most people into exercising, wouldnt have a clue who any of those people you mentioned, are, which is why I said "Young guys aint very interested in old time stuff. They want to know how the current sportsmen, musicians and actors get in shape."

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 7 11 11:46 PM

Terrell Owens. He is a great wide receiver with a terrific physique. (Yes, he's kind of a jerk, but his workouts certainly work.) He's been using bands in various forms for years.

Bodylastics released a Terrell Owens strong man edition to their lineup a few years ago.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 8 11 4:06 AM

chest expanders etc are the big fitness machine industries worst nightmare .....they want you to spend thousands on a piece of junk that a set of expanders will do for 30 quid .......

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 8 11 12:56 PM

I think you'll have more luck by looking for athletes who use resistance bands in their training, which is always multi-modal and incorporates resistance bands into a varied regimen. 

The actors in the movie 300 attached bands/bungee cords to their waists and used that as resistance to run against.

Training for 300
at 19 seconds

Alexander Karelin the Russian wrestler springs to mind.  There are photos of him online using resistance bands like this:

Personally, I wouldn't care about trying to get people into strandpulling by telling them.  Become a beast and let them ask you how you're doing it, then tell them reluctantly as if it is a big secret. Devil

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 8 11 10:29 PM

Elroy714 wrote:
I think you'll have more luck by looking for athletes who use resistance bands in their training, which is always multi-modal and incorporates resistance bands into a varied regimen.

The actors in the movie 300 attached bands/bungee cords to their waists and used that as resistance to run against.
Yep. It seems to be the same with the training routines of a lot of the well known actors. If the articles are to be believed, the trainers tend to get the actors to do a huge variety of exercises using various equipment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#14 [url]

Sep 11 11 1:45 AM

It is unlikely that you will find anyone of note who uses bands exclusively. By the very nature of their profession, or hobby, bodybuilders will use whatever pieces of equipment that will produce the best results, and this will very likely include an assortment of equipment. Sometime in the early 80's I spoke with Bobby Hinds of Lifeline. He told me that he had spoken with Mike Christian, a Mr. O contender at the time, who told him that triceps pushdowns with elastic cables burns his triceps like no machine in the gym can.

Beer! That frothy, golden nectar of the Germanic gods!

Sierra Exercise Equipment

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 11 11 3:33 AM

Chest expanders as muscle builders are pretty much dead from a sales standpoint. There is no commercial interest in seeling them now that you can buy weights and power racks and total gyms and whatnot.

But other exercise tools have come back from the grave with the right sort of marketing. Strength trainers ditched the kettlebell a long time ago, with the advent of plate-loading barbells and dumbbells - why would anyone buy a range of expensive fixed-weight kettlebells, when they could simply buy a single dumbbell bar and collars and change weight plates? However, thanks to a decade of marketing efforts of Pavel Tsatsouline and Dragondoor, the kettlebell has been re-instated as a training tool, and today enjoys more popularity than it ever did in history. Isometric training also experienced a revival, albeit a much less grandiose one. So did bodyweight exercises and their more advanced form, gymnastics.

If someone with years of experience and solid connections in the fitness industry stepped up to the plate and started offering "chest expander certification courses" using some aggressive marketing, I wouldn't be surprised to see a cable revival. Use plenty of words like "secret", "tactical", "old-time" and "functional", and who knows what could happen?

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 11 11 3:17 PM

Shenandoah 1 wrote:
Friends, say goodbye to gilstrap.

Oh. That's right. I have no admin powers here.

Anyway, a great truth is a great truth and bears repeating.

we should make a post with all the mighty legends and insights of you guys!the first one could be the experience of bruv's ex girlfriend who doubled her max pullups in 2 weeks doing only isometric pullups

Last Edited By: kamp91 Sep 12 11 12:24 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 11 11 11:53 PM

kamp91 wrote:

we should make a post with all the mighty legends and insights of you guys!the first one could be the experience of bruv's ex girlfriend who doubled his max pullups in 2 weeks doing only isometric pullups

Roll  

Beer! That frothy, golden nectar of the Germanic gods!

Sierra Exercise Equipment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help