Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Oct 4 12 7:03 AM

Re: For Ayeedee and others who do one set.

Exercises 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 10 and 11 are some of the exercises in my 1 x 20 routine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

I did one of these workouts today. Not Ayeedee's routine exactly, but one inspired by it: ODP, BP, FCP, MP, Hammer curl, Triceps press down, AP, all for 1x20 plus pushups and deadlifts. Felt great. Got a terrific pump and that slight ache Ayeedee talked about. But now, in the evening I feel well enough recovered to go again tomorrow. Will try this high frequency for the next few weeks and see what happens.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

A good variant I have used in the past (pure pump) is doing one full rep plus four end-range "pumps" (where the resistance is greatest). This would constitute one repetition - do four or five of these compound 'reps' and you will experience an entirely new level of muscle pump.

Plus it does not require a lot of cable resistance - a light cable set will provide a pretty good workout.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

I like Ayeedee's style! I  have often thought that higher reps are more beneficial for size, shape and strength, plus the added fact of more stamina from the longer duration of the set. I remember reading an article on 70's bodybuilder CASEY VIATOR, and how he would use a set system of 3 x 20 reps per exercise. I THINK 1 OR 2 SETS OF SAY 18 TO 22 REPS IS JUST ABOUT RIGHT! In other words -- 20 reps yes!!!!! 

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

My big question is whether it is possible to build lasting size this way. OK, the pump you get is terrific. You finish the workout, your muscles are engorged, you look like Arnold. But does any of it last? Is this just Potemkin village training? The powerbuilders would definitely say so. They argue that you have to lift heavy to build muscle. 

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

If it were just muscle pump, then where does the increase in strength come from? I am talking about 20 hard reps not light and easy. In time you will be able to get the reps with very heavy resistance.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

kamp91 wrote:
in my opinion the reps don't count to much,the effort is a lot more important

Exactly, try work the muscles harder than they have before to encourage growth and strength.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Marklar wrote:
My big question is whether it is possible to build lasting size this way. OK, the pump you get is terrific. You finish the workout, your muscles are engorged, you look like Arnold. But does any of it last? Is this just Potemkin village training? The powerbuilders would definitely say so. They argue that you have to lift heavy to build muscle. 
That's a valid question. Honestly, I haven't given it much thought as I also lift heavy weights (in relation to my strength levels) several times a week, and I have never relied on cables exclusively.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

I went from early 1970 until early 1984 doing nothing but expanders or bodyweight training. When I once again tried weights, I found I had lost almost nothing, and in less than 3 weeks my strength and physique was the same as 14 years earlier.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Re: Still making progress

ayeedee wrote:
Even though I have followed the exact same routine since the seventies, I am still making progress as far as adding resistence goes. In recent weeks I have increased the load 3 time on every exercise, and have still been able to get the 20 reps.To increase the load, I take off the lightest cable, and then add one that is a little stronger. Sometimes I don't remove any cables but just add one. I know the strength of all of my cables and keep them in order from weakest to strongest.

Very commendable ayeedee.  Shows the value of 20 reps, at least when it comes to strands, and a good solid routine which stands the test of time.

But a respectful word of caution re your situation,  which may be helping you to achieve this rate of progress.  My wife was able to outlast everybody in her large class,  men as well, doing pushups, because of the same reason.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

For Ayeedee and others who do one set.

Hi Guys,

How do you progress on a one set system? Do you start out at ten reps and continue till you can do 20 then up the resistance and  start again or just stay at 20 reps at the same resistance. I am looking for a truncated workout as I am spending more time on my bike.

Cheers.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Re: .

ayeedee wrote:
Pullups for many people can be injurious as can dips. You have to take a lot of care and not hurt your joints.
Wow!  Great job!

I'm glad to see so many people reporting pullups can be an issue; I'd never had elbow issues with pulldowns or one-armed rows, but, after a few sessions of chins my elbows aren't happy campers.

The World's Leading Expert on Everything Under the Freaking Sun and an Ordained Reverend, too!

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Oct 4 12 7:31 AM

Ayeedee,

When you boil it down, the routine follows the philosophy from people like Arthur Jones  which advocated of one well performed set to failure (eg not able to move the resistance in proper form) vs. multiple moderate sets.  

Big A,

Are you actually a Vegan?  And Viator actually trained under Jones in the 1970s (ref the Colorado Experiment) for several years and put on a considerable amount of mass.  Whether he used steroids or not, or regained lost mass (eg muscle memory), the results in 28 days was impressive when you consider Viator only did one set in nearly all of his exercises.

The World's Leading Expert on Everything Under the Freaking Sun and an Ordained Reverend, too!

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Oct 4 12 3:14 PM

thepark1 wrote:
Ayeedee,

When you boil it down, the routine follows the philosophy from people like Arthur Jones  which advocated of one well performed set to failure (eg not able to move the resistance in proper form) vs. multiple moderate sets.  

NOD DOUBTS!with the only LITTLE difference that ayeedee recommends to do that routine 6 times a week

btw 1 set routines existed amongst oldtime strongmen a lot before arthur jones,the syd devis's course is an example

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Oct 4 12 9:28 PM

kamp91 the return wrote:
thepark1 wrote:
Ayeedee,

NOD DOUBTS!with the only LITTLE difference that ayeedee recommends to do that routine 6 times a week

btw 1 set routines existed amongst oldtime strongmen a lot before arthur jones,the syd devis's course is an example
Kamp,

With all due respect, I was interested in Ayeedee's implementation/feedback. 

Also, your information regarding Syd Devis' program is not quite correct.  He did advocate more than one set along with weights.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Oct 4 12 10:03 PM

do you need a feedback?

''For years I used strands every day full body 1 set of 20 reps each exercise. I increased the resistance if I could do more than 20 reps, and decreased it if I could not get 15 reps. I got through 3 sets of Spenby steel strands over the years with this routine. In time I also lifted weights and switched to rubber tubing.''http://strandpulling.yuku...-with-strands#reply-1959

syd devis' program is composed of various routines using 1 and up to 4 sets for every exercise along with the use of weights,more or less what ayeedee does in these days (if i remember well he uses strands 4 times a week and weights 3 times a week,so nothing in common with hit or arturo jones)

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Oct 4 12 10:08 PM

kamp91 the return wrote:

A lot of the pre-Bob-Hoffman training stuff I read seemed to focus on one set per exercise, multiple exercises per session, several sessions per week (usually three). The multi-set approach seems to have been popularized by York and the "thousand exercises" philosophy, or whatever Hoffman called it.

I personally seem to get more benefit from doing multiple sets. Then again, old-time training enthusiasts didn't have the luxury of sedentary jobs, abundant nutrition and recovery aids like protein powders, creatine, or even vitamin supplements, so for them recovering from multiple set routines would have been harder. Talking about recreational trainees, not professional strongmen, of course.

Not sure where the one set per day, six times per week routine would fall definition-wise. It's certainly not low frequency training like Jones advocated, but the intensity is high to make it similar to the "Power to the People" concept of everyday no-failure training. Whatever it is, there's no doubt it works.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help