Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 4 12 7:03 AM

ayeedee wrote:
Pullups for many people can be injurious as can dips. You have to take a lot of care and not hurt your joints.

Don't get me wrong but I would not say that so sure. Of course it can cause problems if you don't have the PROPER TECHNIQUE down. Myself just learned after +10 years of training how to perform a pull-up correctly. It's all about the shoulders, once you're able to "pack" the shoulders there should not be any problem, if not the fact that your former PR will decrease as consequence of proper thechnique. Why? Cause it's functional approach demands more strength to execute.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Gery wrote:
Don't get me wrong but I would not say that so sure. Of course it can cause problems if you don't have the PROPER TECHNIQUE down. Myself just learned after +10 years of training how to perform a pull-up correctly. It's all about the shoulders, once you're able to "pack" the shoulders there should not be any problem, if not the fact that your former PR will decrease as consequence of proper thechnique. Why? Cause it's functional approach demands more strength to execute.
Pullup problems are not always about shoulder issues. My problem is that my forearm takes on most of the stress in a pullup (and chinup), which results in serious elbow tendinitis if I do too many pullups. Consequently they do very little for my bicep size. If I try to cheat (shorten the range or kip) it only makes things worse.

I don't think it's a matter of proper form, i.e. I know how to pack the shoulder but I don't know of any way to pack the elbows.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

That's strange, I mean I used to have elobw problems too. But since I basically "preflex" my lats on the pull-up it is more likely doing the work and the elbows are not felt on the pull. Although I would say it depends on a person's physical charateristics whether it hurts the elbow or not.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Re: single set high rep training......

I feel that with 12 exercises in my routine, there is no need to add more. I have tried low reps and very heavy resistance, but found it too hard to maintain form in most of the movements.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Yesterday I hit it for twenty reps on the main exercises ( ODP, BP, AP you know the list). Man, it was like coming home Got the pump and the burn at once. I will continue to do this routine in addition to my kettlebell/bodyweight/ring workouts.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Gery wrote:
Yesterday I hit it for twenty reps on the main exercises ( ODP, BP, AP you know the list). Man, it was like coming home Got the pump and the burn at once. I will continue to do this routine in addition to my kettlebell/bodyweight/ring workouts.

Try doing your cable routine every day and you will amazed at the results after just a few weeks. Remember as soon as you can do 20 increase the resistance a little.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Rig up something with handles so you can do pullups with palms facing each other. These can be easier on the elbows and shoulders

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Hey Guys,

I was going through some of these old threads & found this one interested. I'll like to give this routine a try. But I am new to this kind of training, where can I find some description of these exercises?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice.
Al

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Still making progress

Even though I have followed the exact same routine since the seventies, I am still making progress as far as adding resistence goes. In recent weeks I have increased the load 3 time on every exercise, and have still been able to get the 20 reps.To increase the load, I take off the lightest cable, and then add one that is a little stronger. Sometimes I don't remove any cables but just add one. I know the strength of all of my cables and keep them in order from weakest to strongest.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

ayeedee - Thanks for sharing your routine. Short and sweet. I like also how you, for years, have found a way to fit your workout into your life. I meet so many folks who start out with very long routines to "get into shape" only to, about a week or so later, quit as they did way too much, too soon.

Take care and thanks again.

Fred
Pro Cable Course

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Re: For Ayeedee and others who do one set.

This is just how I did it so it's not set in stone and I dont think it's quite how Ayedee did it.
When I started my 1 set for 20 reps routine I would use resistance that I could get 15 or so reps with. I only started to add resistance when rep number 20 felt easy. Even if I got 20 reps on the first go of a new band I did not change the band until rep 20 felt fairly easy and controlled. I think Ayedee started at around 12-15 reps and built up to 20 and then added resistance? Im sure Ayedee will tell you anyway

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

I estimated for each exercise what my 20 rep max would be. If I could get 15 or more reps, I used that resistance, if less I decreased it. If I could get 20 or more, I increased the resistance a little the next. 20 reps pumps the muscles and they wil most likely ache in a good way. You will recover though by the next day and be ready for another workout. workout.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Last Edited By: ayeedee Aug 4 11 9:33 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help