Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 4 12 7:03 AM

Tags : :

I have followed this routine for years 6 days a week. when I can do more than 20, I add a light cable. I use Mike Brown's handles, and my own latex rubber loops. Takes 15 minutes.

overhead downward pull palms in x 20, palms out x 20
front chest pull x 20
one arm overhead press x 20
back press x 20
front lateral raise x 20
side two hands triceps press x 20
triceps pushdowns x 20
bent forward chest pull x 20
biceps curl x 20
reverse curl x 20
upright row 2 hands x 20
one hand overhead triceps press x 20
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

The routine dates back to 1978. I then used a set of Spenby steel strands. When they wore out I bought another set and so on. In time I switched over to latex ruber tubing purchased in bulk. Quality steel springs are no longer sold new, and can only these days be found on Ebay and the like. I do feel that rubber is superior and safer to use. I advise people to wear safety goggles when using strands as they can break, and it is possible to let go of a handle and before you know it you are getting smacked in the head or eye.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

BigBruvOfEngIandUK wrote:
ayeedee wrote:
side two hands triceps press x 20 

Can you explain this exercise please?
Hold the expander with the upper arms straight out to the sides and the forearms vertical. Palms facing in . Keeping the upper arms parallel to the floor, fully straighten the arms.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Re: Thirty Three Years!

That is a remarkable length of time to do the same workout.   I assume looking at the photo's of your gym that you do other exercises, weight training etc ?
Have you stuck to the same non-strand-pulling workouts as well ?

In that 33 years, you must have grown a lot in overall strength.   What is your FCP and OHPD pullweight now ?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

so:can i regroup the exercises changing the initial order that you gave to them?

p.s.did you ever wanted to try something different (lower reps for example?using the same routine for a long time is good but change it from time to time is useful to shock muscles and gain more strength

Last Edited By: kamp91 Aug 24 11 4:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

I did try different cable routines back in the day when I used steel strands, but always went back to the same routine. With weights I have used 5 x 5, 4 x 8, 3 x 10 and so on but again I prefer 1 x 20 reps and daily workouts. After so many years, I am not going to increase strength and muscle size. Looking at my old training logs, I can see that my max poundages with weights have declined each year since my early fifties. I have lifted weights over 45 years. I have never tested myself with cables to see what I can pull for a max single rep. At my strongest I did not have enough cables to do that. Now of course I woud pull less. When I need a break from the weights I continue to use the cables. I like to train but I do not need to do as much as I do. In time I will drop the weight training, and there are currently several exercise I am no longer comfortable doing at my age of nearly 62.

Watford Rules!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Not only is this a testament to your fortitude and willpower, Ayeedee, but also to strands and the amazing longevity that they allow/encourage.I have recently been reading on another forum about the destructive potential of pull ups and it made me even more amazed that strands can and are used so frequently and for so long with no ill effects.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Thanks for that information ayeedee.  

I didn't realise you were so young.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

ayeedee wrote:
Macky, don't tell me you are even older than I am! I used to also be called Macky or sometimes Mac or Mackers.
I'm 63 ayeedee.  People used to call me many different names. 

Still do Wink

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

That is really something Ayeedee! I have great respect anyone who has been at it that long.

Bands have a way of filling in the gaps and though i regularly do dips and pull up and variation thereon, i believe the bands play an important role in the overall health of the shoulder girdle.

This is one reason the 20 rep program is so good. I do agree maybe alternating tricep pulldowns and extensions and subbing in whippets is a good idea.

While speaking with Bobby Hinds he also remarked on the fact you can use them for a lifetime and he senior to both Ayeedee and Macky.

I also understood that Lifeline has a few other names for Macky

Last Edited By: MrBrady Aug 25 11 6:25 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

SmileMrBrady wrote:

I also understood that Lifeline has a few other names for Macky
After my last blistering email to Kevin Dorsey,  I'm sure they have, MrBrady Smile    If it helps them to get their act together and start behaving in a proper and coherent manner towards their customers,  then it will have been worth it.  

Inspired by all the interest in ayeedee's 1 X 20 workout,  I've changed my current 7 strandpulling exercises to the 1 X 20 routine.
Best thing I ever did.  I've had trouble with the elbows for decades, and some exercises like front/back chest press etc were off limits when I was repping 10's and 12's.  Now I can near-fully engage in all the classic strandpulling movements.

Many thanks ayeedee.    

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Thirty Three Years!

I have now been doing my 12 exercise 1 x 20 reps cable routine for 33 years. If I would change anything, it would be to drop one of the triceps movements and add the Whippet. Remember to group the exercises, and do all those that use the same resistance together. That way you can get through the routine quickly and with minmum rest and cable changes.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Re: single set high rep training......

Yes, I am doing it. From the time we discussed it on the forum I did single set high rep training for upper body and high rep bodyweight squats for lower body. Have experienced really nice hypertrophy gains. But that's not all. A week ago I decided to go back to Convict Conditioning. I now do CC three times a week followed by my single set strand routine. I noticed a marked increase in strength. I haven't trained pull ups for months, but found myself banging them out better than ever. This can only be an effect of the strand work. So, thanks Ayeedee, this particular template has worked great for me.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Excellent! Increases in size and strength in a short time. Doesn't get much better. No doubt your joints feel fine too.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

like you know i'm having great results with your routine ayeedeee...btw i have always done only one set like a lot of old strandpullers recommended but i used also low reps:everything from 6 and even 5 to the classic 8/12 bodybuilding reps scheme,i also used forced reps and 5 seconds isometric holds at the end of some isolation exercises (french press and curl)

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

This post is so true! I have often noticed great results from one set training! Fuller, more muscular gains.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help