Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 9 12 3:53 AM

Re: Anybody know if resistane bands can be used to "safely" do neck exercises with?

Diet advice everyone can agree on:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/strong-man-2

Kamp I will have access to two chairs in the near future, do you ever do the exercise facing the other way (I mean down instead of up)?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Nov 9 12 5:00 AM

Re: Anybody know if resistane bands can be used to "safely" do neck exercises with?

olderguy wrote:
Im allergic to dairy products so I really dont want to spend a lot of time reading up on something that Im allergic to. I just wanted to know what you were using or if you were using anything before using whey and how it compared?
Okay. My apologies for misunderstanding you. I used nothing before whey.
This often seems to be the case. Trainees go from doing nothing to doing something and notice a benefit. This is why I wonder if the benefits would be just as good from other good quality sources of protein such as eggs, fish or meat? Is one source of protein way ahead of the others or are they all pretty much the same?

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Nov 9 12 5:18 AM

olderguy wrote:
i've done static wrestler bridge up to 16 minutes and i still do the ''ironbar'':place your legs up to your mid-calves on a chair and your head,neck and traps on another one keeping your body straight
That sounds like a kung fu exercise. Where did you learn about that? I can see how it would be effective and, I think, far less risky than neck bridges.

i saw it both on matt furey's ''combat abs'' and kubik's course on bw exercises...in both courses it is considered an advanced exercise

i saw it also in one video by mantak chia

really a great way to hit the back without any kind of apparatus

Last Edited By: kamp91 the return Nov 9 12 5:23 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Nov 9 12 5:33 AM

BigBruvOfEngIandUK wrote:
olderguy wrote:
Im allergic to dairy products so I really dont want to spend a lot of time reading up on something that Im allergic to. I just wanted to know what you were using or if you were using anything before using whey and how it compared?
Okay. My apologies for misunderstanding you. I used nothing before whey.
This often seems to be the case. Trainees go from doing nothing to doing something and notice a benefit. This is why I wonder if the benefits would be just as good from other good quality sources of protein such as eggs, fish or meat? Is one source of protein way ahead of the others or are they all pretty much the same?
Whey is just a protein source, any good source will do. For me, the whey is a matter of convenience. My only point is that whey is not some voodoo supplement, it's just a good protein source.

All the protein sources have a bit different balance of amino acids, if I recall, eggs, and whey are among the best. but there is little need to quibble over the differences.

The other factor is how quickly they digest. Whey is quite fast, making it good for the period of time around the workout, not as good at other times, unless you slow it down with some fats.

If you want to put on muscle you need to eat about 1.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight a day. And have enough carbohydrates to fuel your actives.  Basically you need to stress the system and feed it.

Last Edited By: MrBrady Nov 9 12 5:38 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Nov 10 12 6:46 PM

Dave Reslo wrote:
Diet advice everyone can agree on:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/strong-man-2

Kamp I will have access to two chairs in the near future, do you ever do the exercise facing the other way (I mean down instead of up)?

i've never done it that way but it can be done to focus more on the abs andthe front part of the neck

as an aside i've once see a pic of a chinese oly lifter who did the ironbar with 2 40 pound plates on his stomach

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Mar 5 13 8:32 PM

I don't do any neck training, but realized my neck got stronger, the more tension I used in the following exercises:

Lateral Raise (back of the neck)
Military Press (side and front of the neck)
One Arm Press (back and side of the neck)

If you want to train it without the band, use your Hands for resistance and press your head against them in all directions.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Mar 9 13 5:46 PM

Mike the Machine has recently started promoting the "neck flex", which is basically a neck harness with strands instead of weight. After literally years of telling people what they should do for the neck is train front, rear and side neck curls to cover all directions he's started saying if you use the neck flex instead it's better because you can work all directions....

Anyway, here it is,
www.theneckflex.com

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Mar 10 13 3:33 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Mar 10 13 3:34 AM

Dave Reslo wrote:
Mike the Machine has recently started promoting the "neck flex", which is basically a neck harness with strands instead of weight. After literally years of telling people what they should do for the neck is train front, rear and side neck curls to cover all directions he's started saying if you use the neck flex instead it's better because you can work all directions....

Anyway, here it is,
www.theneckflex.com
Ive edited the link to make it work

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Mar 10 13 7:39 PM

Nice Idea, but I don't like buying stuff, just use a Tera Band instead of the harness
But you don't need to train your Neck unless you want do get stage ready or you are a fighter...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#55 [url]

Mar 16 13 7:54 AM

Jake331 wrote:
probably been shared before but this clip of Rickson gracie training with cables is cool (even though video quality is crap), neck stuff starts around 4.20

That's pretty cool. Here's where a neck harness of some kind would come in handy, though: When he is walkiung backwards, the cable has very poor leverage on his head and he is feeling strain on the bones and tissues of the neck but is not actually making the muscles do much. On the way forward it is much better leverage so he is using his neck more but he is still unable to work much range of motion because the cable will slip off his forehead either up or down.

I am biased in favour of neck (and jaw) training but would say the advantages to someone who is not competetive would be that you might protect your brain and nerves in the event of an accident, that you might have better posture as your grow older and that even if it doesn't particularly attract many women a thick neck is pretty good at intimidating men.

Also Bruv cheers for fixing the link and keeping the forum tidy.

Last Edited By: Dave Reslo Mar 16 13 7:56 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 28 14 11:39 AM

ww.theneckflexmachine.com is out, I love it so far, I loop the band around a pole and exercise my neck each way. The only thing I didn't like they charged $20 for domestic shipping and handling. I used to train my neck with ironmind harness, one of the first videos I ever made was this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpq-LXuyt8 , but now I'd rather do higher reps.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/channel/UCSwnwM3ILEvyupyo8mjbxug

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Mar 26 14 10:33 PM

Just wanted to see if anyone had more thoughts on this.

I keep wondering if neck exercises are all that helpful. Can imagine situations where a strong neck could have functional purpose.

I have been pondering the Spud Neck Harness as it is less than half what the Ironmind and Neck Flex cost and I know the Spud stuff is heavy duty as I have a couple of attachments from them already.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jun 27 16 1:29 AM

The Posture Pulley Exerciser for the Neck

The Posture Pulley is probably comfortable, and something like  this design would be easy to replicate.

It reminds me of a slingshot.

One problem is that the resistance is not adjustable.

Since this is a therapeutic device, it is probably rather light too.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Posture-Pulley-Neck-Exerciser-PPNE/172002959485?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D994c6c23285448fabd990b4d4112d998%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D252432773211%26clkid%3D6402671221305448343&_qi=RTM2247626

With flat bands or with what I use, re-purposed knee wraps, you just fold another layer or use two at a time to increase resistance.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Jul 2 16 2:59 AM

That's a nice design, if you had one you could probably wrap other bands round the outside end.
Something like that but attached across a doorway would be good, then you could easily work different sides

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help