Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Oct 7 11 1:51 AM

Re: Elastikon

I am not talking about poundages, but rather the fact that the Elastikon cables are 11'' longer. This greatly reduces the effective range of each exercise. I prefer short cables so that the resistance kicks in much sooner. I would never use Elastikon cables unless I had no choice, and then I would find a way to greatly shorten them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#85 [url]

Oct 7 11 10:36 PM

You noticed here! Your own words.

Spenby Chest Expander
May 17th, 2009 | Uncategorized | 235 Comments »
So on Friday my Spenby chest expander arrived. It is in excellent condition taking that it’s from the 60’s. As the box says it provides resistance up to 150 lbs (that’s around 68 kg which means roughly 14 kg per strand). It has a manual too with some basic pulls described and with a BRAVE guy who dares to demonstrate the exercises wearing nothing but bathing drawers J I did a quick workout (wearing all „protective gear” since I’m blessed with rich hairy body after my Father’s genes ) and man it was pretty intesive. Since the length of the strands is less by 10 inches comparing to Elastikon’s it’s much harder to work on them. Although I could max out the set on a few pulls there are still ones like FCP where actually I barely could manage 2 reps with 4 strands on

Spenby springs are 30 lbs each. I have ownd several sets. Try a front chest pull with 5 springs 150lbs. Then try the Elastikon with 150 lbs. Spenby is much harder because with it's much shorter strands the resistance starts much sooner than the Elastikon. The Elastikon is very easy to pull, and robs the user of a full range of resistance. My advice for a much better training effect is to use exanders the length of Lifeline's and no more than 2'' longer.

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

Oct 8 11 8:18 AM

ayeedee's right.    I think we all agree now on here ( after sensible advice from Fatman, gilstrap and ayeedee himself ) that pullweight poundages are largely irrelevant,  especially when there is so much variation with different strands, springs etc.

So one is left with the only other parameters, and that is arc of movement ( ROM ) with the resulting training effect, and the strands themselves. When I measured Lifeline's Oranges,  I found that they were tougher at the start to stretch than the Chinese steel springs I have.   

So if we take it that the strands are the same make and "pullweight",  it's self-evident that a FCPull that begins at 26" is going to be a lot harder and have a better overall training effect than a FCPull that begins at 37",  whether the trainer has short arms or long arms.  The greater ROM with the 26" expander,  and the kicking in earlier of the resistance must surely result in a better training effect. 

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Oct 8 11 2:44 PM

This is true, i think the long strands have their place, but for 'everyday' work not so much. It more like doing partials with heavy weights.

On that note, and please note i have no idea where its going, i have seen LifeLine's concept for the next generation expander, and Fatman will be very pleased that they figured a unique way to increase the total ROM. Its still really rough so i can't say anymore than that, or even if it will ever see production.

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Oct 8 11 10:40 PM

I did not notice on the efficiency and the results of training on them. Ye I do know that it is longer and that I wrote about it earlier. Still I like those numbers, for me it just works well and don't care about inner ranges or any other #$%#. I'm happy with my Elastikon set, though I still have my Spenby with some additional Terry's springs, those are rather a vintage item in my collection as I don't want one spring break loose and hit me:)

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

Oct 9 11 6:27 AM

elastikon 200?

hello, i would like to buy the elastikon 40-200kg set,but it seems that amazon  does not have it any more.

But I found it at this store http://www.c-of-c.de/shop...n-Expander-40---200.html
I sent them an email message but did not answer me if they have it.
Someone of you know if this store is reliable? did you make purchases from those?
thanks!
keep pulling!

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Oct 9 11 9:05 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Oct 12 11 11:21 PM

MrBrady wrote:
On that note, and please note i have no idea where its going, i have seen LifeLine's concept for the next generation expander, and Fatman will be very pleased that they figured a unique way to increase the total ROM. Its still really rough so i can't say anymore than that, or even if it will ever see production.
Sounds cool! I guess they're not showing it on the website, but you got a "sneak peek"?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#91 [url]

Oct 13 11 1:40 PM

I gave them some feedback awhile back about the soft handles and for some reason they stayed in contact. They FedExed a rough prototype to me, in Finland.

The idea wasn't bad, but it had a few bugs that need to be worked out, it may be they go another direction. That's about all i should say.

Quote    Reply   

#93 [url]

Jan 14 15 2:48 AM

I may have been one of the guys giving Elastikon a bad rap, but truth is over time the system has really grown on me. I'm good with the length of it now, and really like the bungee cable, there is something more substantial feeling about the way it pulls. I've also got a number of long bungee bands from the same company for various shoulder prehab exercises. I'm gradually becoming a convert to bungee. And even planning to add another Elastikon to my collection.

Quote    Reply   

#94 [url]

Jul 4 15 3:12 PM

Just having a browse at this thread and I realized the Elastikon handle is the same as the "York" handles (mine are green) that I bought in the late 90's, and which used bungee cord the same.

Perhaps the store used the wrong label, I don't know. Anyway, those handles are the ones I used for the True Archers Pull, with the bungee cord cut and shortened down. It's easy enough to tie a knot behind the plastic stopper, and bungee cord is readily available by the metre in hardware stores.  Heat-shrink ends are cheap and serve to keep the cloth covering from unraveling.

I can see why the Elastikon cables are so long.  They have to be because the bungee cord will come to a dead stop, before the arms length stretched right out, otherwise.   

I wonder if that cloth covering stopping the bungee cord from over-stretching preserves the long life of the bungee.  Mine feel the same strength years after.

Mr Brady,  how are you doing with your Elastikon(s) ? 

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

Jul 5 15 8:49 PM

French Bungee Cord Expanders

Macky,

I have a couple sets of Elastikons now, but I still have the handles and one cable from a bungee-style chest expander I bought in France in 1985.

The very comfortable rotating wooden loop handles and one cable remain useable.

The bungee cord measures 23 inches, or 58 centimeters.

The clips bring the total length to 25.5 inches, or 65 centimeters.

The tissue on the French bungees did not restrict the pull.

It looks something like commercial bungee, with an X-pattern weave.

Mine were functional over at least a 10 year period in which I used them regularly for several years then off and on.

You could buy a wide variety of different strength cables individually at most sporting good stores in France, and even at the FNAC Department store.

I eventually recycled the cable clips, which are a tapered wound wire coil, by using straight tubing and wooden dowel plugs.

I regretted the end of them, and preferred them to Lifelines, which I slightly overstretch, because there is no danger of snapping with bungee.

I wish I could find them again.

Last Edited By: squidjuggler Jul 8 15 6:30 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Jul 5 15 10:17 PM

Macky,

I thought a handle-to-handle measurement of my expanders would be in order.

I measured to mid handle.

Elastikon (yellow) 36.5inches/93cm

Elastikon(red) 37.5 inches/95cm (they stretch a bit)

French bungees 34 inches/86.5cm

Weider steel spring (1960s) 28 3/16 inches/71.5cm

Weider steel spring (1970s) 25 3/8 inches/64cm (shorter, wider handle design)

Lifeline 24.5 inches/62cm

Quote    Reply   

#97 [url]

Jul 7 15 2:47 PM

Thanks for that squidjuggler.

I've just come off an 11-month isometrics-only regime, which was a lot of fun and kept things toned up and a little stronger, but I'm now working with the strands more and more again, with only a few iso's thrown in from time to time. In fact, most of the iso's now are springs or Hook loops held for 1-2 seconds each rep on the outstretch.

I've picked up the odd chest expander, usually York or its NZ equivalent (identical) and a longer rubber cable set of some Chinese brand.

York 25 inches

Hook with 20" loops about 34 inches

Chinese Terry's replica (but with clips) 26.5 inches

Chinese rubber cable set 30.5 inches

I haven't touched my Elastikon set for a while but I'll probably fit that out with new bungee cord at some stage.

While the training effect cuts in sooner with shorter springsets/loops, there is still a definite use for the longer sets.  One exercise which I found was very good was using the Hook loops (20") around the back and pushing straight out in a sort of a "bench press", something which cannot be done with steel springs very well.

The back press out to the side goes better with cables as well, the springs right against the body catching on clothing and skin.  Springs for the front pulls though, no trouble there.  And curls with the Terry's replica with rotating wooden handles. 

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Oct 16 15 6:00 PM

Hi guys,

Long time no post. In fact I'm posting this because I've seen some of you wondering about how Elastikon expanders hold up in the long run. Well all I can tell you is they're last forever! I mean the cords wouldn't show any wear or tear, the handles as well are intact. Actually I have just finished a quick basics workout.

To summarize I have no regrets buying these sets, nor has my little brother who told me about getting back to cable training and only stopping because he would grown out his wardrobe (yea I know stupid excuse).

Enjoy your workouts with the Elastikon

Quote    Reply   

#99 [url]

Oct 19 15 8:15 AM

Elastikon

Gery,

I am glad to hear Elastikons are durable.

I have a 64 inch/162.5cm wingspan handle to handle.

I am therefore a bit wary of my Lifeline cables on most stretches.

Usually, I use my shorter steel cables for exercises like curls, front pulls and overhead downward pulls.

I prefer Elastikons for exercises like the backpress, one arm press, whippet and shimmy.

However, where I think they really shine is that they allow some compound exercises you cannot do with shorter-length chest expanders.

These include deadlifts, squats, seated rows with a door anchor or the cables around the feet, and the front chest press with cables looped around the back.

I would be interested in knowing for which exercises you and others use Elastikons.

Last Edited By: squidjuggler Dec 19 15 8:41 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#100 [url]

Nov 19 15 5:31 PM

Hey squidjuggler,

Nothing special here I only do the basics such as overhead downward pull, back press, front chest pull, archer pull and sometimes military press or lateral raise. I found the basics pretty much cover the entire upper body.

What I started to experiment with is one set per exercise workouts. I do super slow reps until failure and train only 1 or 2 times a week depending on my recoverability.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help