Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 26 08 10:04 PM

Tags : : ,

Does anone know if it's possible to purchase an old York Iron Shoe Exerciser?

Most of my searches have returned with links to the York Iron Boot, which some mistakenly refer to as "shoe" and which were shoes that you secured weight plates to. The Iron Shoe was a horseshoe-like device that relied on springs for resistance. Apparently it worked the muscles in a way similar to horseshoe-bending (hence the appearance and the name).

Anyway, if someone has info on whether these are still produced and/or whether they can be purchased, I'd be grateful. I have already posted this question on a few other forums and mailed the guy(s?) at Oldtime Strongman. No luck.

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Oct 2 12 6:01 AM. Edited 4 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Nov 11 08 5:10 AM

"Most of my searches have returned with links to the York Iron Boot, which some mistakenly refer to as "shoe" and which were shoes that you secured weight plates to. The Iron Shoe was a horseshoe-like device that relied on springs for resistance. Apparently it worked the muscles in a way similar to horseshoe-bending (hence the appearance and the name).

Anyway, if someone has info on whether these are still produced and/or whether they can be purchased, I'd be grateful. I have already posted this question on a few other forums and mailed the guy(s?) at Oldtime Strongman. No luck."

This device is no longer produced. Your best best is Ebay or antique shops. I've only seen three in my lifetime. One was on Ebay and sold for over $200 U.S. One was in an antique shop in Micanopy, Florida (near me) but it was in very poor shape. The final one I saw at the York Barbell Hall of Fame. They were not a popular item and weren't very good sellers.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 16 12 11:42 PM

Re: Iron Shoe Muscle Builder

FCrivello wrote:
Strength Baron - I hear you. I wish there was a transcription of that tape. By the way, I found this today. It is an ad from Popular Science, May 1933

Fred

The opposite of the Krusher.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 3 12 4:39 PM

Hello

I am new to this forum. Just about 50 yrs young from India and after long years of strength training with free weights, I began to search for some alternative training equipments. Came across this wonderful forum a few days ago. Thank you all adn Crivello for the Gold standard info here. I have one 1984 Weider Steel Spring expander and a bull worker along with my old free weights and two Kettle Bells. Right now I want to concentrate more on the Strandpulling and once in a week KB. As I said , the info here is excellent. I have photocopies of an old magazine where the exercises are given for the chest expander and the iron horse. I will scan them and upload ASAP.  Meanwhile any help to to get a genuine ISSA expander? I am REALLY interested in getting one. 

Thanks 

Venki

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 6 12 2:32 AM

Old Expander Course

Here are the images of the pages from some old magazine that I still have. I got my steel spring expander back in late '80s. I cant recall the exact date. One of my friends who was working in the Arabian Gulf sent me these. He took the pages for the power twister later as he had one. 

Since I could not insert the images here I did the same by creating an Album.
http://bengaltiger.strandpulling.yuku.com/album/view/aid/185040#.UEedspb-mSo

Regards

Venki

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Sep 6 12 2:45 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 7 12 12:58 AM

No. Do not say any thanks. You people have given me so much info regarding strandpulling. It is my duty to return at least a part of it. Moreover, it will benefit those who are interested.

Venki

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 19 12 3:09 PM

Re: Iron Horseshoe

It looks like an interesting idea, but without being able to actually see it in person, it's very hard to say how well it actually functions, how much tension it develops and how evenly it moves.

At that price, on that site, being made of plastic, it's a gamble.

Maybe there's an idea in there for Shen though!

If someone does ever get one, please do post a review. I think the underlying concept is a great one.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help