Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 17 06 7:30 AM

Tags : :

The late Chuck Sipes, a great bodybuilding champion of yesteryear used to spend a great deal of time in the wilderness. This was due to the type of work Chuck performed for the California Youth Authority, for many years. As part of his job Chuck would take many of the troubled youths on 30-day treks into the rugged mountains of California as a part of their rehabilitation process.

One might assume that Chuck would most likely return from such 30-day treks into the wilderness in less than stellar physical condition, simple due to the fact that he wasn't able to lift the heavy iron for a month. This was not the case with Chuck and anyone who had the opportunity of seeing Chuck immediately after one of these wilderness hikes would note that he was always in a FANTASTIC STATE OF CONDITION. His muscularity and muscle tone was always at a zenith.

This did not happen by accident

For your interest, this is the type of exercise program that Sipes follows when out in the wilderness.

DAILY:

He would arise early every morning; eat a light breakfast; load an 80 to 100 lb. pack upon his back and begins the day's hike with the youths. Late in the afternoon, the hike was terminated and it is at this time that Chuck began his exercise program. His exercise program consisted of expander cable movements and abs movements and as previously mentioned would take from hour to 45 minutes to complete.

With expander cables:

Traps (cable shrug), Delts (two hand upright rowing), Chest (chest pulls) Biceps (cable curls), Forearms (wrist curls and reverse curls).

Sipes performed two sets of 10 to 12 reps on each movement. Chuck felt that two sets was all that is necessary for fitness cable training as along as MAXIMUM EFFORT IS APPLIED. Next Chuck performs two sets of 25 reps in the lying leg raise and two sets of 50 in the front bend for the abs. Now, the program of the day was finished off with 10 Sets of 10 Reps in the REGULAR push up and one final set of 50 very quick rep pushups. Chuck found that his torso was pumped to the maximum from this very simple but effective program. Chuck trained his legs with a jog or run of a few miles in the late evening.

Chuck Sipes comments on cable training.

"The points of suggestion in reference to this EXPANDER CABLE TRAINING article are up to the individual and the type of training he enjoys." Unless the individual is ENJOYING his training program, he will get discouraged and not put forth FULL EFFORT.
For the entire article, go here:

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Mar 11 16 11:12 PM. Edited 6 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 14 12 3:04 AM

Chuck Sipes And Cable Training

A number of years ago I got a tape of Chuck Sipes speaking about cable training. I found it very informative.  It was from an interview/research being done by bodybuilder and author Dennis Weis. When I heard it I was impressed by his care in giving his views and what he personally had discovered through the years on cable training.

As most of us know, Chuck Sipes was a very strong and muscular professional bodybuilder through the 1960s and I believe early 1970s. On the tape he goes into depth on his views on cable training.  He speaks highly of the benefits of cables, especially in the fields of overall strength and muscularity.

In the past, our board has discussed Chuck Sipes and his views on cable training.  You probably could also do a search on the Internet and find some written articles on the subject. If you choose here is the link for ordering the Chuck Sipes tape.  Even if you are not currently in the market for it you might want to browse the site in general.

Take care.

Fred
Pro Cable Course

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Aug 5 12 5:47 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 15 12 10:59 PM

Re: Chuck Sipes And Cable Training

StrengthBaron - I know the tape has a lot of information on it, but honestly I cannot recall all the exercises through it he mentions. Sorry. However, I found these previous postings on Chuck Sipes and his cable training.  Maybe, just for general info it may be of some interest.

I still get a kick out of those pictures the other day you posted.  Brought back the old memories

Take good care.

Fred

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 20 12 7:42 PM

Sipes

Strength Baron wrote:
BigBruvOfEngIandUK wrote:
http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2011/11/chuck-sipes-on-cable-training-dennis-b.html
I was disappointed with the article. He doesn't mention the top cable exercises: overhead pulldown, pull apart, front or back press. I usually really like Chuck Sipes and Dennis Weiss's other articles.

Chuck Sipes used cables as a finisher to barbell exercises, to add some extra work to the target muscle areas. It's possible he didn't know much about the official (competitive) cable pulls and hence did not include them in his program.

Although I have another booklet by Dennis Weis where a form of the overhead pulldown is mentioned as a lat developing exercise. You start with a resistance you can't pull all the way down but can move a few inches and do partial reps. You continue to practice with that resistance until you can pull the expander about half-way apart (from full stretch), then add resistance and repeat. You never work your way down to full stretch, only half way. He recommended this move as a lat "finisher".

Kinda strange to me as I find that the full stretch position in the ODP is the best position for really hitting the lats, but not for Dennis apparently.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 9 16 2:31 PM

That Chuck Sipes workout is strange in terms of balance of pushing and pulling excercises.
I could understand he had great workout for legs and lover back by only carrying loaded backpack for miles.
But only excercise that targets upper and middle back more in that routine is Chest pull (there is some pulling with biceps and wrist curls but not in the way they could balance that number of push ups).

But - if it was routine he did only from time to time at trips to wilderness it was ok I think (I gues mr. Sipes had balanced bodybuilding routine with weights).

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help