Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 23 16 6:12 AM

Tags : :

I have always had a problem with biceps development (although not triceps) any ideas with regards to resistance and reps etc.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 23 16 11:53 AM

I concider biceps as one of my best, fastest growing muscles ("hitting" biceps with weights, strands, kettlebells, etc since my childhood takes it part there). It´s not that big (I didn´t do measurements... I´m small person - I started workouts as scrawniest kid of my neighbourhood, my dad is scawny too, so genetics have it´s part there for sure), but if I would pick my best muscle, it will be biceps.

Some ideas that worked for me (I would assume You are working out with strands, so ideas are adjusted to that):

If You could, add chin ups and pull ups to Your routine. Few sets every other day (or twice a week) would be enough. With chin ups, end last set with a few seconds isometric hold (static chin up hold) within motion. I am sort of fan of armwrestling sport figures - if they have one thing in common in workout, that are isometric chin up holds. From my experience - I have better development of biceps if I do that ocasionall chin ups nad pull ups than if I do only strand work.
Even if You coldn´t do one rep, strart it (weeks ago, I could perform one chin up... so I did few sets like 5 days a week ... no I could do 3-6 pull ups/chin ups for few sets, I do them usually now two times a week).

As far of strands: straight arm work is great. Gymnasts, which put a lot of work to straight arm holds have significant biceps development (and in most of cases - they don´t work biceps with strandard biceps excercises, but biceps development its secondary effect of their´s straight arm excercises). Excercises like ODP (hands facing in and out - use both variations), archer´s pull (straight, supported arm) and another excercises that demand Your arm(s) to be in straight position and resist strain from diffenent angles have effect on biceps.
I couldn´t reccomend more standard biceps excercises - biceps curls (my nearly always excercise in full body workouts), reverse biceps curl (really great for back side of forearms and lover head of biceps). 
... When I do biceps curls, I end up with isometric hold on top of movement in last rep of every set (I count to 5 usually). That gets another pump.
Try slow reps, quick reps, half reps, etc... ("different things affect different people differently" ) With biceps  excercises, I do minimum of 8 reps, but mostly 12-15 reps with 3 sets.

And my-o-reps concept (see last topics) would be really good for biceps development I think.

Rows are good also (i do seated variation).
Wrist curls is also excercise that engage biceps in some way.

Hope that will help.
If You are interested in my rep scheme from my dumbbell home workout from past (I had greater development of biceps then), let me know.
As always, sorry for bad english.

Last Edited By: Lemmy01 Mar 23 16 3:30 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 24 16 2:55 AM

That is really interesting thank you. I was also quite small and scrawny, but I think the endless press ups as a youth set the tone for later triceps development. I then for a brief period competed in powerlifting in the 67.5kg class. Life then got complicated for a number of years but I am now getting back on track, way to heavy but losing weight via running. Upper body is not bad for 52, except of course my biceps. Not sure my elbows would stand up to chins, will re-visit your 0-reps post. Thanks again.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 24 16 11:47 AM

No problem.

As for my weighted work out with dumbbelss only at home (I think it could work with strands too - i will try it in some time, so I post it too), it was split - legs, back and shoulders one day and chest, biceps, triceps other day (I know dividing legs and back in same day is not so smart, but in that time, it work for me). All parts had 3 excercises with 3 sets. On top of that, after each workout i did 3 sets of ab excercise.
Only lacking part from that workout were legs (reason may be light weight or fact that one excercise was really simple).
But in that time (I did if for 3-5 months years back) my hands explode (in that time everyone notice I was working out, even some stranger told me I had "guns"), mainly biceps.

Reason behind it may be number of sets and excercises - I had 3 sets of 3 biceps excercises. I worked out nearly daily. So that´s 9 sets every two days. That´s plenty of work in contrast of standard bodybuilding split, where is biceps worked only with 9 sets a week.
I used biceps curl (ocasionally arnold´s biceps curl or barbell curl), hammer curls and concentration curls (last is big one for biceps development). I used to 8-15 reps, do lighter rep sessions, heavier and combination (concentration curls were always better for me with 12-15 reps and lighter weight).
And I had some work of biceps with rows and deadlifts another day and some biceps work as support when I put dummbells overhead to do another excercises (in some way every time, when person lift weight from ground and and put it for example above head with motion that mimic clean excercise ("biceps curl" within motion), it´s another work for biceps.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 1 16 5:25 AM

In my experience, the following principles have been the most important when it comes to effective biceps training:

• Strict form - other muscle groups grow better with "cheat reps", biceps seem to be an exception.
  • Moderate resistance - ties in to strict form. No point in curling 200 pounds if the work is being diverted to other muscle groups.
  • High volume and frequency - the biceps are a relatively small muscle and recover quickly. Shoot for 50 total reps per workout, 2-3 times per week. Use high-intensity principles like partial reps, rest-pause, drop sets.
  • Vary the angle of training - e.g. do exercises that place most of the stress on the muscle in the stretched position one day, mid-position another day, peak contraction another, etc.
  • Keep the time between sets short to increase intensity.

Bodybuilder Ben Pakulski has a lot of great bicep training advice on his YouTube channel, showing you how to set up traditional bicep exercises for maximum effectiveness.

It might be worth to note that if you're a smaller guy and do not have prominent arms naturally, you will probably have to gain a considerable amount of weight to get your arms to grow. Biceps are a somewhat peripheral muscle group and gain slowly compared to the rest of the body... except in the case of trainees using "special restoratives"

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 1 16 11:44 PM

I don't have enough experience or attention given specifically to bicep development to give any subjective advice, but I'd pay attention to Fatman 2.

I haven't done much bicep specific training - maybe a few curls now and then, but most of the bicep work happens to me by default from exercises like pull-ups, dumbbell clean and jerk, heavy KB swings, weighted carries, deadlifts......just the general tension that naturally happens to my biceps as I do compound, full body exercises and weight training.
I enjoy walking while working a pair of dumbbells in any upright movement I can think of (reverse curls, hammer curls and regular curls included). It seems to really amp up the effort of walking and gives a nice pumped up feeling. Similar to the "Heavy Hands" concept, but not really dancing, just walking, and using light dumbbells from 8#ers to 20#ers with 10#ers or 15#ers being used the most.
I suppose the most muscle-area-specific exercises I do are frog crunches, stomach vacuums and, maybe, side-to-side bends. I just like to use as much of my body as I can when I exercise.

"Any problem in the World can be solved by dancing." James Brown 
"I don't even know if I'm doin' this right" John Mellencamp
Mastering principles, frees us from slavery to recipes.
Set a DIRECTION, not a goal.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help