Remove this ad

Calibrating Lifeline Chest Expander Cables - An Experiment

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

#203 [url]

Aug 7 11 1:37 PM

This thread is darned long and I don't know if I can wade through to remember if I made a comment about this.

When I first got my Lifeline chest expanders and long tubing perhaps ten years ago, I was surprised when their claim of 'Xlbs at 2x stretch' felt a lot lighter than weights of the same poundage. I did my own makeshift testing by hooking one end of long tubing to a dumbbell and pulled upwards until it reached twice its length. I used different weights until I found the right weight where it lifted the dumbbell off the floor at 2x stretch.

The purple cable tested at about half of the stated pull weight. The red cable pulled at about 2/3rds the stated pull weight. While I found this disappointing, I never asked Lifeline about this, and just went about my training with this in mind.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#204 [url]

Aug 7 11 6:12 PM

What our discussion determined is that measuring that way will give results that are off by a factor of about 3 (maybe 2 for older cables) compared to LL's rating system. You need to loop the cable and attach to two weights and stretch to 3x the resting length.

We also agree, that with cables the ratings don't really matter much anyway outside of competition.

Quote    Reply   

#205 [url]

Aug 8 11 4:08 AM

MrBrady wrote:
What our discussion determined is that measuring that way will give results that are off by a factor of about 3 (maybe 2 for older cables) compared to LL's rating system. You need to loop the cable and attach to two weights and stretch to 3x the resting length.

We also agree, that with cables the ratings don't really matter much anyway outside of competition.
All true, MrBrady. 

But here is yet another example of confusion and disappointment,  which is why I still have doubts about Lifeline measuring their short cables the same way as their long cables.  Perhaps you might like to point this out the next time you speak with Bobby.

Quote    Reply   

#206 [url]

May 14 17 6:08 AM

I may be lost and confused, but are you not testing the cables by suspending weights from one end to see how far they stretch? Surely with many exercises we are pulling the cables from both ends. This might mean that testing my hanging weights from one end is not a good method. With steel springs I was able to do reps with 150 lbs on the F C P. This was all the springs I had at the time, so I could have pulled more as a single attempt. I cannot pull 3 x orange cables with the Lifeline expander.I believe that the cables are close to the stated poundages. I have the complete set of 9 expanders 3 cables each with both hard and soft handles.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help