Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 12 17 11:16 PM

Tags : :

Hi, my name is Laurence but everyone calls me Lol. I'm 52 this year, been lifting on and off for 35 years, not that you could tell :-)
I've done a lot of odd object stuff, made my own timber trap bar, trained grip strength and competed in grip events. All this has left me with two blown shoulders with 5 cortisone injections in one and 2 in the other, bad tendonitis in both elbows (had surgery on one).
last year I bought a set of Bodylastics and this year I've finally started training with them "seriously". I've sort of morphed my exercises to mimic the old chest expanders and even bought one of those twist springs rated at 60Kg which is a good worker of arms and shoulders at the end of a band workout and I'm looking to get the 80Kg one next.
I'm considering buying an old bullworker to train the Archers Pull, but for now I have to rest a while as my enthusiasm for working my back, especially from seated rows with the bands anchored to the newel post at the bottom of the stairs (!) has over trained my left rear delt so I'm doing some gentle rotator cuff work for a week or so and then I'm back into it.

The exercises that appeal to me are front chest pull, shoulder press, the archers pull, back pull as shown in the procable course, and th front pull down. I have to work within the limited flexibility off my shoulders and these seem to fit the bill so far.

What I am wide open to is suggestions on stes, load and frequency of training so if anyone can offer some suggestions that would be great.

Many thanks, Lol
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 14 17 9:38 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Be careful with cables and your shoulder/elbow injuries. For me, rear delts and elbows in cable pulling are analogous to the lower back in weight lifting - easy to overwork if you're not careful, leading to strain and injuries which affect your progress. Based on what I've heard about the Bullworker, I would not recommend it if you already have elbow and shoulder issues (but I have no firsthand experience with this device).

As far as sets, loads and frequency of training go, this depends on your everyday schedule, energy and motivation. Here are some suggestions:
  • Do a full-body routine 3-4 times per week, taking one day off in between. E.g. exercise on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, then take the weekend off, or exercise on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, etc. Cables are not as draining as weights, so you can use them more frequently.
  • Do a group of exercises (e.g. chest, shoulders and triceps) on one day, another group (back and biceps) the next day, then take a day off. Be careful no to overtrain the delts and elbows on this schedule. Whatever you decide, make sure you give your muscles plenty of time to recover between workouts.
  • A strength-based rep scheme I have used with cables is 10-8-6-5. I.e. you pick a moderate resistance and do ten strict reps with it, rest a minute or two, increase the resistance and do 8 reps with that, rest, increase again, do six strict reps. Then add some more resistance and do five "cheat" reps with that. Move on to the next exercise and do the same. Once you can do 6 strict reps with the resistance you use for the five "cheats", increase resistance slightly for all sets.
  • A tried-and-tested method is to do 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps of each exercise. Increase resistance when you can hit 10-12 reps with the original resistance.
  • Forum member Ayedee has a productive 20-rep cable routine that you can look up.
  • 'Loading' with cables is a bit tricky, if you're used to weights. With weights, progress is more or less even until you plateau, i.e. you can add small plates to the barbell in regular increments as you get stronger. With cables, what seems like a slight increase in resistance may take you from 6 reps to zero reps, which can be pretty discouraging.
  • For me, the 'big 3' of cable pulling are the front pull, overhead pull and back press. I would recommend basing your workouts around these 3 and adding other stuff as you see fit. Other ones I like are the bicep curl, tricep extension, archer pull (triceps version), lateral raise and straight-arm pulldown. Exercises that mimic weight and machine movements, e.g. seated rows and cable crossovers, can also be rigged up easily.
  • You may need to add some leg and abdominal exercises to round out your workouts. Pushups are also a good complement to any cable training program.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 16 17 5:06 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I forgot to add I also suffer the dread Fibromyalgia which makes every muscle tight and painful so it adds a bit more spice to the mix. I have literally this last 24 hours suffered a very bad relapse where everything hurts so no training whatsoever! Once it settles I'll try some of your suggestions but I reckon I'm going to be reduced to working out every 5 or 6 days due to muscle tensions that stretching only partly relieve.

As an aside, if you suffer bad shoulders or want to avoid them I find very good relief from this thing http://therotater.com/wp/

All the best, Lol

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help