Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 24 12 7:59 PM

Tags : :

Hi all

I thought you would like to read the following link:

http://www.maxalding.co.u...aldists/Betts/Arnold.htm

What is a great testament to the enduring appeal of expander training and a great link to the past with Jack Lewis. What a great expander wish they still manufactured them like that.

I have just bought a Sandow spring expander, found it in an antique shop and it is a real pleasure to use. The weight and strength of the handles seem to give the movements something extra.

Of course I could not wait to get it home so gave it a few stretches in a Costa Coffee shop see photo

How do you post a photo? help

Regards

Gripper

Last Edited By: BigBruvOfEngIandUK Sep 24 12 9:02 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Sep 25 12 8:03 PM

gripper wrote:
I have just bought a Sandow spring expander, found it in an antique shop and it is a real pleasure to use. The weight and strength of the handles seem to give the movements something extra.
I had a Sandow but these were a very early set. They didnt look like dumbbells. They were a really nice polished wood. They were probably not cheap originally. The handles swivelled and were really were nice handles to use. I also had another Sandow set where the handles were also grippers. Some of the later Sandow sets looked more like the Terry and Spenby handles. There is a set on ebay right now.  There is also a pair of the gripper/chest expander handles on at the moment. They are black. Mine were yellow. Check the description for damage

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Sep 26 12 8:30 PM

Glad you also liked the pic Strength Baron - I think it was worth getting banned from Costa for.

It's not too clear from the photo but the handles are made of wood and the metal discs (which have the Sandow name on them) are fittted on the ends of the wood handle and screwed in place.

The metal part that holds the springs is looped at the ends and fits between the metal disc and part of the wood handle, so the handles rotate. It's a really good design and has obviously stood the test of time.

I have seen Dave Websters "Challange Expander" and he used the same Sandow handles, So they must be very strong as well.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help